AWB 2013 Policy Summit
Morning Joe hosts, TIME business editor, Gov. Inslee to address business leaders
OLYMPIA — Top national journalists, leading thinkers on health care and education, accomplished business executives and Gov. Jay Inslee will anchor the discussions during the Association of Washington Business Policy Summit Sept. 17-19 at Suncadia Resort in Cle Elum.
The 24th annual AWB Policy Summit will focus on the latest developments in federal and state policies that could help or hinder the shaky economic recovery. Scheduled speakers and discussion topics include:
Wednesday, Sept. 18 – Rialto Ballroom
- Where is America Headed?: A discussion on finance and the national economy led by Rana Foroohar, TIME Magazine’s “Curious Capitalist” columnist and economy editor (7:50 a.m.)
- Tapping into Washington’s Capacity for Innovation & Growth: A CEO panel featuring Scott Morris, chairman of the board, president and CEO, Avista Corporation, Spokane; Colin Moseley, chairman, Green Diamond Resource Company, and Ezra Eckhardt, president and chief operating officer, Sterling Bank (8:45 a.m.)
- Skills Gap Threatens Washington’s Economy: What’s the Solution?: A panel of educators and business leaders moderated by Doug Bayne, Walla Walla Community College Foundation. Panelists include Lee Huntsman, University of Washington president emeritus; Earl Hale, the retired executive director of Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges; and Brian Benzel, vice president for finance and administration, Whitworth University (10:30 a.m.)
- Luncheon keynote remarks by Gov. Jay Inslee (12:30)
- Obamacare’s Next Chapter: What Does It Mean?: A Q&A with Hadley Heath, senior policy analyst at the Independent Women’s Forum (1:45 p.m.)
- Health Care at a Crossroad … What’s Next?: A panel discussion featuring Don Conant, a board member of the Washington Health Benefit Exchange; Jeff Roe, executive vice president, Premera Blue Cross of Washington; Dr. Lee A. Antles, M.D., West Olympia Internal Medicine; and Hadley Heath, senior policy analyst at the Independent Women's Forum and an expert on the Affordable Care Act (2:30 p.m.)
- MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” team of Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski will keynote the dinner (7:30 p.m.)
The AWB Policy Summit is a members-only event. However, members of the media are invited to attend the speaker presentations. TVW will tape the daytime presentations; select speakers will also be live-streamed via the TVW website.
To reserve space, inquire about A/V needs or ask related questions about the event, please contact Jason Hagey at 360.943.1600. For a complete schedule of Policy Summit events, visit the Policy Summit website at http://www.policysummit.com or follow the event on Twitter (@AWBsummit). The event hashtag is #awbsummit13.
WHO: Association of Washington Business
WHAT: 2013 Policy Summit
3600 Suncadia Trail, Cle Elum, WA 98922
WHEN: Tuesday, Sept. 17 – Thursday, Sept. 19
About the Association of Washington Business
Formed in 1904, the Association of Washington Business is Washington’s oldest and largest statewide business association, and includes more than 8,100 members representing 700,000 employees. AWB serves as both the state’s chamber of commerce and the manufacturing and technology association. While its membership includes major employers like Boeing, Microsoft and Weyerhaeuser, 90 percent of AWB members employ fewer than 100 people. More than half of AWB’s members employ fewer than 10. For more about AWB, visit www.awb.org.