MEDIA ADVISORY: 30th Annual Holiday Kids’ Tree Lighting is Dec. 7
AWB and the community will celebrate three decades of its Holiday Kids’ Tree Project that has raised more than $420,000 to help families in need in rural areas with the lighting of this year’s tree; a moment of silence for Pearl Harbor Day of Remembrance will take place before the tree lighting
OLYMPIA — The Association of Washington Business welcomes the arrival of the 2018 holiday season Friday, Dec. 7, with the 30th annual lighting of the Holiday Kids’ Tree at the Capitol rotunda at 6 p.m.
Gov. Jay Inslee and First Lady Trudi Inslee will be on hand to light the tree with the help of Olympia Police Officer Jon Hazen, who is also a sergeant in the Army Reserves with 448th Civil Affairs Battalion, and his wife, Christy, and their two children, Matthew and Allison.
The tree, which will be delivered to the Capitol rotunda Dec. 4 for decorating, is a 25-foot Noble fir donated by Weyerhaeuser’s Vail Tree Farm in Rainier, Wash. This year’s theme is “Military Bears” and will feature plush teddy bear ornaments adorned in the uniforms of all branches of the U.S. military.
The festive event marks the 30th anniversary of AWB’s Holiday Kids’ Tree Project fundraiser to benefit children and families in rural communities throughout the state.
Started in 1989, AWB’s Holiday Kids’ Tree Project has raised more than $420,000 for families in need. Donations gathered this year will be presented to representatives from 18 rural fire districts in nine counties, which use the funds to buy food and gifts for families in their communities. Grant, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Spokane, Thurston, Okanogan, Chelan and Walla Walla counties are this year’s recipients.
In addition to theme and traditional decorations, 7,000 LED lights will wrap this year’s tree.
After the tree comes down, the stuffed bear ornaments will be delivered to area children’s hospitals.
To learn more about the Holiday Kids’ Tree project, visit this website: http://www.awb.org/awb-holiday-kids-tree/.
WHO: Association of Washington Business
- AWB President Kris Johnson
- Gov. Jay Inslee and First Lady Trudi Inslee
WHAT: 30th Annual AWB Holiday Kids’ Tree Lighting Ceremony
WHERE: Capitol Rotunda/State Legislative Building, 416 Sid Snyder Avenue SW, Olympia
WHEN: FRIDAY, DEC. 7, 2018
- 6:00 p.m. – Welcome: Annette Meyer, deputy director, WDES
- 6:04 p.m. – Musical performances by Washington Middle School Choir
- 6:09 p.m. – Statement of appreciation: Kris Johnson, AWB president
- 6:15 p.m. – Additional musical selections by Washington Middle School Choir
- 6:20 p.m. – Proclamation and lighting of the tree: Gov. Jay Inslee and First Lady Trudi Inslee along with Olympia Police Officer Jon Hazen, who is also a sergeant in the Army Reserves with 448th Civil Affairs Battalion, and his wife, Christy, and their two children, Matthew and Allison
- 6:30 p.m. – Santa arrives